Every year, it never fails, I get the winter blues. It seemed to hit me earlier than normal. I moped. I cried. I bitched. I almost skipped NYE. See, I've never been a big NYE fan. Nothing ever good happens for me on New Years. I'm either leaving (left Pittsburgh New Years Day), feeling trapped (got stranded with the parents), unhappy (knew something was wrong with my relationship with Tom), or alone (last year I up loaded all my cds on itunes and cleaned house.) See, not much to look forward to.
Think about it, what do you really have to look forward to after Christmas? NFL playoffs? I guess if your team is in. MLK day? Why? A day off so you can sit inside because it's -10? Super Bowl Sunday? Really - who's genius idea was it to have the biggest game of the year on a SUNDAY? Valentines day? Schmalentines day. Who needs a day to express their love? Shouldn't you do that every day? March Madness? St. Patricks Day? Yeah... that's when it starts to turn around. But that's 2 whole months away!!!!
I decided I needed to snap out of it, figure out something that would make me happy. So I bought a Winter Classic Ticket. It worked. I'd hemmed and hawed about going to the game and concluded that it was way too expensive. It was more than I spent on Christmas presents! Then I thought I would be lame watching the game alone. Then I thought, what the hell. I want to be a part of history. I MUST be at this game!
I'm so glad I did. It was amazing. Freezing, but amazing. Totally worth every penny.
Of course it didn't cure me of the winter blues. I've had a down day since... but it sure kicked 2009 off right. Luckily I have a few Dateapalooza's to look forward to.

No comments:
Post a Comment