Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Barack-and-Roll


Tonight was by far the most amazing thing I've experienced in Chicago. I witnessed President Elect Obama address the United States of America for the first time, in public. I feel so blessed, so lucky to have been a part of such a historic event. I do believe this is a new beginning for the US.

What I will most remember is the energy and the optimism of the crowd. Everyone seemed to truly believe that change will come and that Barack Obama will be our leader in doing so.

Those that know me know I'm not much for politics. I know my beliefs and what I think is right and I support the candidate that parallels those. I don't get into political discussions. I don't watch CNN or read Newsweek. I get my information from here and there. I may not be the most educated voter, but I know what I know and I vote.

So, I couldn't help but compare tonight to Superbowl Sunday. The CNN commentators all huddling around a desk giving their opinions on this state and that state, why this one is blue and this one is red. It reminded me of Terry, Howie, and Michael huddled around the FOX NFL Sunday desk discussing why the Steelers D is so great! For me, Superbowl Sunday is an exciting event that I look forward to every year. Some people can't wait for the next 4 years so they can do this all again!

The energy at Grant Park reminded me of a rock concert but with out the drunks or the pushing - cheers, jumping, hands waving, Obama pins and shirts worn proudly. The streets flooded with people afterward celebrating, reminds of when the Cubs won the division.

I'm looking forward to the next 4 years and looking back on this day for the rest of my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment