Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ice Time

What do I like best about winter? Outdoor ice skating. I went for the first time this season yesterday (yes, by myself) and had a blast. Usually, I do a lot of thinking cruising along, dodging tourists, yesterday was no different. I thought about the many good times I've had on the ice:

1. Pond hockey with my dad. We'd hike down the hill to the pit as soon as it would freeze over. If it was night time we'd bring a lantern. Dad would lace up my skates good and tight, I never could do it myself. Thank god for waxed laces. It was fun father/daughter bonding time. Let's do it again soon Dad!

2. Empire State Plaza - the music, the tree, and Uncle Paul teaching me how to crossover. Best ice skating lesson I ever learned.

3. HVCC & Clarkson free skate with Jeff Henn. He'd tie my skates for me too. What a true friend.

4. Cub 2 hockey games - my freshman year floor. I usually just skated and slid into people.

5. Millennium Park. Last year I went as many Saturdays as I could. I time it so I'm there when the Zamboni comes off at 11:45, I love fresh ice. Last year my ice time meant a lot to me - it really helped me clear my head, figure things out, and helped me gain confidence to get out there and do more on my own.

See, it's more than just lacing up my skates and taking a few laps. It's an experience, it's my history, it's me!

No comments:

Post a Comment