
Yankee Stadium is going away. Every time I think about it now, my eyes well up. Corny, I know, but the Yankees, baseball, and their history really means a lot to me - it runs deep. When I'm at a ball game, I don't just watch, I feel it. I feel the stress of each pitch, a release at the crack of a bat, a gasp of breath watching the path of the ball, and a release when it's caught or a play is made. I cry every Yankeeography I see. They are more than just players, they're family men, community leaders, and workhorses. Ball players are not invincible... Lou Gehrig overcome by disease in his mid-30s, Thurmon Munson's life cut short in a plane crash, Roberto Clemente (a Pirate, my #2 team) perished in a plane crash on his way to deliver goods to a war torn country... all went at the height of their careers. So you understand...
About Yankee Stadium - at first I really agreed with the fact that a change was in need - the seating area and field are fine, it's the other areas that need work. The ceilings are low, the concessions are small, the bathrooms have 3 stalls and make you flashback to elementary school. Really, there was nothing they could do about it considering the structure. As I've said before, nowadays it's more about bringing people in, entertaining them, making the day at the ballpark an event rather than about watching baseball. Current Yankee Stadium does not meet this need.
So the House that Ruth Built will be demolished. The holy ground of baseball gone. It makes me sad. I picture that space empty, cold feeling, like the ghosts of Yankees past will be haunting the grounds (specifically Thurm... where's his locker going to be now?!). I'm also sad I didn't officially say goodbye. I went last year, the first weekend in May with my dad and my boyfriend at the time. I love going to games with my dad. He gets so excited, I love seeing it on his face and in his body language. We went to monument park, I shed a tear for Lou and rubbed the Babe's forehead. Roger Clemens announced his return, I lost my voice. Matsui hit his 2000th hit, I was interviewed by Japanese TV. It was an amazing day. But I never thought that would be my last time...
This weekend, my Mom, Dad, and baby brother said their goodbyes. Thinking about them turning their back on the field and walking out made me cry. (Can you see a trend here? I'm emotional!) I guess I'm just not ready to say goodbye. I'm sure I'll be an emotional wreak when it goes down, I think I'll have to watch though. Like any good relationship, time eventually will heal the wounds.
I am looking forward to seeing new Yankee Stadium... The House that Jeter Built. This is contrary to my father's statement - The House the Boss Built. In my opinion, he just forked over the cash... Jeter is going to make history. We're opening up a new chapter in baseball. One that I hope is filled with Yankees who play with heart and natural ability, have upstanding character, give back to the community, and of course no hair below their ears.

No comments:
Post a Comment