Friday, June 19, 2009

Tonsil-less

Today I got my tonsils out, Dr. said I should have had them out years ago. Apparently, there was so much scar tissue, I'm going to have a longer healing process than most. I guess that's what I get for sucking up the pain and never going to the doctor - and if I did, because I've moved around so much, it was a different one every time so no one ever knew my history.

Knowing that makes me more calm. For a bit I thought this was just some crazy idea I put in my head. Like maybe they aren't that bad... but then I remember that every time they swell, they touch, I can't eat, can't breathe, I snore horribly, every swallow is excruciating. Currently, I feel the same way, but I know it'll be over in a month and I'll never feel this way again!

From this process, here's what I've learned:

1. My mom is the best. She flew in from NY to take care of me. She's going to sit inside with me on the beautiful June weekend. I'm forever grateful.

2. Go to the doctor. Remember your medical history, not just the serious stuff. I pay enough for insurance, might as well use it.

3. Getting flowers is such a fun thing, especially when they're from the man you love. He always gets my favorite! Lilies... and this time yankee blue flowers!

4. Frozen peas make the best ice pack.

5. You never notice your uvula until it's the size of a Mike & Ikes. I'm afraid I'll choke on it in my sleep.

6. Once again, my big blue Ikea pillow pulls through for me. I think this might be the 3rd blog I've mentioned it in! I can't lay flat... see #5.

7. Ice cubes are delicious. Em thinks I'm weird because I chew ice all the time, now I can get away with it.

8. I should have bought a dry erase marker.

9. Who knew instant mashed potatoes were so good? It's the only "real" food I've eaten today.
10. I now have to be careful with liquids, they shoot out my nose.
11. I have to close my mouth when walking down the street. I feel a draft in there with my tonsils not blocking it!
12. Tell your friends in advance. I really need them and probably should have told them sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment