
In previous posts I wrote about my sadness regarding the closing and demolition of old Yankee Stadium. June 4th I finally entered the replacement and must admit, it's magical.
BUT, not magical in an old Yankee Stadium sort of way. There, I felt the magic of the past. There, I was in a building where all the Yankee greats called home. There, I'd get a ghostly chill down my spine.
New Yankee stadium does not have magic of the past, but magic of the future. I felt excitement! I felt pride! I felt love! All the Yankee greats that I believe are larger than life, are literally larger than life in the great hall, I felt a different kind of chill.
Thurman Munson's locker has been transplanted. Monument Park has been transplanted. Unfortunately, I don't think the history or the energy of these has been transplanted... and that's ok. It's the beginning of something new. The Yankees are definitely not closing the door on the past - that's obvious by the wall of signed baseballs, the wall listing all of the championship years, the Great Hall, and Babe Ruth Plaza - but they are opening the door for the future.
I'm hopeful for future Yankees to be just as monumental as Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, Mattingly.... I'm hopeful for 26 more world championships, for countless Yankee records... and I can't wait to see it all happen in The House that Jeter Built.
Thanks Dad for bringing me to a game in the inaugural season. Thanks Eric for making the trip, sorry Jeter screwed it up! I'm so glad I got to experience it with the both of you!

No comments:
Post a Comment