Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Return of STEELER Sundays!


I'd been waiting for the first Steeler Sunday of 2008 all year! Finally, it arrived. I awoke early, donned my home Polamalu jersey, Steeler bracelets, and new Polamalu earrings and waited for my friends to wake up.


At 11:35 I began the short walk to Durkin's, my local Steeler bar, with a skip in my step. I should have known, all the tables were already taken. I made my way to the middle of the bar, scoped out the back (where I refuse to sit, it smells like vomit), turned around and saw my old crew, just as I had left them.


Miss Imagene and Todd at their usual spot at the end of the bar. Matt and his crew at their usual corner table. By the end of the first quarter I'd already made friends with the crew at my usual table (I had to sneak in, that's MY table). The third quarter my best Steeler friend Sara arrived - hugs all around! Tara the waitress from last year came up and said "you're at your table!" Apparently, I am recognized as a regular Sunday staple. That's a good feeling. By the end of the game I'd met about 10 others.


There was something special about this opening game. Perhaps it was the fabulous Steeler win. Maybe it was because they are carrying Iron City again. Who knows, but I'll take the camaraderie.


It's funny, you can go months without speaking to someone, but once football season starts, you're best Sunday buddies again. That's the power of the Steelers. I'm officially ready for more football, big wins, $3 IC lights, and meeting new friends. Here's to the 2008 season!

No comments:

Post a Comment