Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Chicago-versary!

I've officially been here 1 year. The honeymoon is over... haha, not really. A lot has happened in a year and I've been doing a lot of self-reflecting so I thought I'd share what I've learned.

  1. Never hold significant characteristics of your personality back. I did this for way too long. Why? Who knows, acceptance I guess. But when you realize something is missing and you're just not the same, you feel stuck. But man, it feels damn good to break those pieces out again. WAHOO!
  2. Feelings are meant to be felt. They do not go away by moving locations, stuffed away with food, or washed away with alcohol. Those solutions are only temporary. Just deal.
  3. Tell people how you feel, don't just sit on it. Be direct, don't beat around the bush.
  4. I'm not a commitment phobe - I just haven't found anyone or anything worth committing to.
  5. I need a job that's fulfilling and rewarding. This isn't cutting it. If I'm still in this job two years from now, someone slap me.
  6. If you're not in love, you're not in love. Those feelings go away for a reason. Don't think by selling all your possessions and moving to a new city that that love is going to come back. It's gone man.
  7. Don't sell all your practical possessions and move in with someone unless you are 100% sure it's right. Otherwise you'll be sitting in an empty apartment on the floor with a big flat screen TV eating with plastic utensils. (I know, I know, it's only stuff. But it was MY stuff!)
  8. Welcome to the present, it's a wonderful place! Keep both feet in one place, rather than one out the door. Only then you can truly connect to the people and things around you.
  9. Let people in! I've always kept people at an arm's length. Why? See #7. Life is way more fun with friends.
  10. Email does not replace face to face contact. It's gotten me in trouble at both work and in my personal life too much!
  11. You've got to put yourself out there! (Currently, I am not practicing this, hence the lack of dates.)
  12. Explore on your own, you'll learn it's fun to be alone sometimes. Don't wait around for things to happen, get off your butt and do it!
  13. 10 miles? That's nothing.
  14. Standing up for what you believe in is way better than not, even if it does get you into a little bit of trouble.

This sounded better as I was rehashing it in my head during my 15 mile walk today, but it's good enough. I know it sounds corny, but I've really gotten in touch with myself over the past year and it's been a blast getting to know me!


No comments:

Post a Comment