Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentimes Shmalentimes

Valentines. I think it's a crock of shit. Here's the reasons:

1. Why do you need one day to say I love you? Shouldn't you tell people how you feel all the time? If you need a holiday - use their birthday.

2. It really is a hallmark holiday made for people to spend money on crap. Greeting Cards? A waste of paper - you can't write your own message so you have someone do it for you. The other person is just going to throw it out. Cheap candy in a heart shaped box? America is fat enough. Roses? Don't waste your money - they'll die in 3 days.

3. If you are married/dating someone - there is so much pressure put on you to buy the perfect gift, plan the perfect date, be all lovey dovey and romantic. I think there's more pressure on Valentines than both the birthday & Christmas!

4. If you're single, it just makes you feel like crap. All the hearts covering the stores. All the couples out holding hands. You can't even go out to dinner with friends - restaurants all PACKED! The bonus is all that cheap candy is 75% off the next day.

5. I think Valentines tainted me as a child. Think about it. You spent all this time filling out each flimsy paper valentine just so. You may have even dotted the I in your name with a heart if you had a crush on a special someone - only to find out that they didn't even put one in your little paper bag mailbox!!! The worst was middle school and high school. The carnation fundraiser. Buy a carnation and have it delivered to a special someone in class. Every time a flower delivery came my heart would jump... but never, not once, did I ever get secret admirer carnation. Why did I care? They were freaking carnations!!!

But don't let me fool you... if I don't get anything... I'll be pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment